The Heritage of Mississippi Series, published jointly by MDAH, the Mississippi Historical Society, and the University Press of Mississippi, with funding assistance from the Phil Hardin Foundation, will cover the history of the state in fifteen volumes as part of the celebration of Mississippi’s bicentennial.
Seven volumes in the series have been published:
- Art in Mississippi: 1720–1980 by Patti Carr Black
- Religion in Mississippi by Randy J. Sparks
- Rednecks, Redeemers, and Race: Mississippi after Reconstruction, 1877–1917 by Stephen Cresswell
- Mississippi and the Civil War: The Home Front by Timothy B. Smith
- The Civil War in Mississippi: Major Campaigns and Battles by Michael B. Ballard
- Mississippi’s American Indians by James F. Barnett, Jr.
- A Literary History of Mississippi, edited by Lorie Watkins
- A Borrowed Land: Colonial Mississippi by Christian Pinnen and Charles A. Weeks
To order volumes from the series, contact the Mississippi Museum Store by email or by telephone at (601) 576-6921.
Commissioned volumes include these six:
- Reconstruction in Mississippi by Jere Nash
- Frontier Mississippi, 1798-1840 by James Michael Bunn and Clay Williams
- From Bondage to Freedom: Slavery in Mississippi, 1719-1865 by Max L. Grivno
- Mississippi, 1917-1945 by Chester M. Morgan
- Mississippi in the Twentieth Century: An Economic History by Connie Lester
The Heritage of Mississippi Series is aimed at a broad audience of scholars, teachers, students, and interested general readers. The works are intended to stand as the definitive studies on the topics for years to come. MDAH and the Mississippi Historical Society invite proposals for the remaining titles:
- From Frontier to Secession: Mississippi, 1840–1861
- From Hope to Heartbreak: Mississippians in the Age of Jim Crow
- The Struggle for Civil Rights.
Interested historians should send vita and prospectus for a volume in the series. An honorarium of $10,000 is paid to authors for completed and accepted manuscripts. Send proposals to:
Board of Editors
Heritage of Mississippi Series
P.O. Box 571
Jackson, MS 39205-0571
For more information contact MDAH by email or call (601) 576-6936.
Members of the Board of Editors of the Heritage of Mississippi Series are:
- John F. Marszalek, Chair
- Katie Blount
- Elbert R. Hilliard
- Peggy W. Jeanes
- Michael Vinson Williams
- Charles Reagan Wilson
- Christine Wilson