Bring Your Lessons to Life: Incorporating Technology and Best Teaching Practices into Your Curriculum
Sponsored by the Mississippi Historical Society
What: Teacher Workshop at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Mississippi Historical Society
Where: Two Mississippi Museums, 222 North Street, Jackson, Mississippi
When: Friday, March 2, 2018, 12:30 - 2:30pm (full commitment 9:30am - 4:30pm required for .7 CEU)
This workshop will present teacher-friendly, easy to use techniques to incorporate technology and new teaching methods into history and geography curriculums. These methods will immerse students in the classroom experience using primary sources, artwork, and video clips that connect students with archives, organizations, and museums including the new Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum in Jackson. Attendees will explore ways to help students examine and analyze primary sources including Socratic seminars, group activities, Google tools, and free online resources as well as interactive lessons using technology. Teachers will learn how to utilize the Nearpod App, QR codes, online games, and interactive online resources and maps in their classrooms to create scavenger hunts and virtual reality experiences to use with their students. Workshop directors, Mrs. Cathy Lee and Mrs. Melinda Moore, are veteran history and geography teachers in the Petal School District.
Workshop attendees will leave with ready to use lessons including links to all free resources presented as well as a copy of the Mississippi QR timeline of major events in the state of Mississippi.
This workshop is open to K-12 public, private, or charter school teachers FREE of charge thanks to the generosity of the Mississippi Historical Society (MHS), Natchez Historical Society, and private donors. Travel costs are not included.
There are only twenty (20) seats available in this workshop. All attendees will receive:
- 0.7 CEU for attending the first two sessions of the MHS annual meeting from 9:30am-12:30pm, participating in the teacher workshop from 12:30-2:30pm (which includes a free box lunch), and joining the special tour of the Two Mississippi Museums from 2:30-4:30pm
- One-year complimentary membership to the Mississippi Historical Society
- One-year subscription to the Journal of Mississippi History and the Mississippi History Newsletter
- Free admission to the annual meeting of the Mississippi Historical Society, on March 2, 2018
As special guests and new members of the Mississippi Historical Society, workshop attendees are invited to the President’s Reception, hosted by the MHS and the University of Southern Mississippi’s Center for the Study of the Gulf South and Dale Center for the Study of War & Society, as our way of thanking you for all you do to inspire and educate students across our state. The President’s Reception of the MHS Annual Meeting will be held at the Old Capitol Inn, across the street from the Two Mississippi Museums, from 6:30-7:30pm on Friday, March 2.
Applications must be received no later than February 1, 2018. To apply for the Teacher Workshop held at the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Mississippi Historical Society, please submit the following to email@example.com
- An informal, 300-words or less statement of how your participation in this workshop will help students at your school learn more effectively about Mississippi in your classes
- A copy of your resume